Why are my edits taking so long to be approved? How can I help?

I’ve noticed a lot of errors on my local area and made some edits, but it’s been 3 days and the corrections don’t show up.
I’ve browsed the “Edits awaiting approval” and found they are “Awaiting Country Editor Approval”, how can I help speed up the process ? Is there a way to become a local area editor? How?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your contributions. Yes we are short on active editors for every region. Our current configuration is that country editors can approve for their own countries but not globally, then we have a few global editors who can approve anything. As everyone is a volunteer people sometime take time off from the project and this is probably the cause of what you’re seeing.

Currently I’m personally away from the project to help arrange my mothers funeral, so if nobody else wants to approve edits then that’s probably a sign we either need to push the project harder, or give up - not sure which to be honest! I don’t usually approve edits myself as I have other technical responsibilities with the project and lack the time/energy to do it myself. Perhaps we should auto-accept edits if they have been sitting for a certain amount of time.

Hi Christopher, thank you for your dedication in this hard time.

I understand the problem, and I would like to help as I can.

Would it be a lot of backend work to auto-accept edits if they don’t get reviewd for some time (I’m thinking 24h) but to still mark then as in need of review?

1 Like

Much appreciated! No it’s not a big deal technically, I just need to decide to do it. Lots of changes made recently and many more still to do so that could be on the cards.

Hello!

This is my first post here, so I want to say thank you to everyone making this charging map/“grid” possible! :slight_smile:

Have you maybe considered making those edits/additions auto-accepted automatically after some time?

I was just wondering, 'cause right now for example from Finland there is multiple new charging stations (couple of those are my additions) waiting for approval.

Or, if you need more help, I can also volunteer to be “Country Editor” for Finland.

Thank you again for this site and keep the good things rocking! :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ve updated your profile to be a Country Editor for Finland. For the most part slow approvals are because nobody has approved them! We are relatively low on editors and a few keen users can do a lot but if they take time off then a backlog can develop quite quickly. I rarely approve edits myself as that would defeat the purpose of having a community!

New locations queue can be seen here:
https://openchargemap.org/site/poi?submissionstatustypeid=1

Edit queue can be seen here:
https://openchargemap.org/site/editqueue

1 Like

Auto approval has now been implemented and will auto approve after 3 days of sitting in the queues (currently). Some better intelligence needs to be implemented around things like ensure duplicates don’t get added etc.

1 Like

@Christopher, I see a months-long backlog in US station additions. Not sure if this is because of a lack of editors or what, but if I can help with this please let me know.

Yes, it’s because people who have been given US editor access are not checking for edits. We don’t currently send any notifications to editors, which we obviously should do - we had a system for that (user subscriptions to geographic areas) but it put too much strain on our systems at the time. It’s possible it could be resurrected but it unlikely I will find the time to work on that.

Christopher, may I offer to become an editor for Ireland?
If the auto-notification was enabled, even if it was run only every 2 days, it would help immensely.

@RonnieLast nor problem, you are now a country editor for Ireland. I agree we need to get notifications working again.

1 Like

I made two station updates on December 2nd which have are still awaiting review/approval. Both of these are in California (OCM-158975 and OCM-139035). I see from this thread that apparently there is an auto-approval setup with a delay of 3 days, so maybe I am being impatient.

Is there a way I can assist in the approval/review process?

Is the three day auto-approval actually implemented? (I see another edit from December 2nd in the queue but none older which is consistent with edits older than 3 days being automatically dealt with.)

Yes(?).

I’ve made you an editor for the US so your edits will appear quickly but looking at your recent edits please just enter facts not dialog, nobody else is going to fix it for you :slight_smile:

Electrify America app says this is "station 210413". I am not sure which OpenChargeMap field to put this in. - The answer here would probably be to edit the equipment info and set the operator reference

A post was split to a new topic: Country editor request