All public charging stations in Poland available in EIPA

… but data license is unclear so it’s useless until some legal experts can sort out this piece of… law.

Namely, the act says:

“it enables to share the information collected therein, referred to in para. 3, to any entity interested in their processing in order to make them available on the map”

representative wrote to me that it’s allowed to process EIPA data for sharing points on a map and not for other purposes.

With the law is like with jokes: if you need to explain it, then it’s not a good joke.

So even though it might sound simple: yay! we have all the data we need and it’s allowed to process them to put data on the map, it’s not exactly what we are doing, because if I want to write a shell script that takes data and put it in my console or send me an SMS with nearest charging station, then it’s clearly not “sharing points on a map”. On the other hand, that’s just (stupid) interpretation done in the regulatory office. Act itself clearly states that “it’s a public registry”, “maintained for EV users”, “to provide information facilitating the use of these vehicles”. Sounds like the OCM.

Except that there’s no explicitly stated information about the data license.

Hmm, yes without a statement declaring it is as either public data or open data (with a specific license) we can’t do that much with it. It’s possible to automatically transform data to introduce your own creativity (i.e. reprocessing positions to new addresses and back to new positions, transforming equipment information to clean it up etc) but often it would be simpler just to encourage a local EV user group to document their local charging in OCM and it would achieve the same result and probably be more accurate overall.

I strongly believe that if users in a country don’t want something like OCM then it’s not our job to build it anyway, if on the other hand they’re looking for something like OCM then we can (as a community) let them know we exist and point them in our direction. OCM is only be sustainable if there is a community effort, so if there is no community in a given country that’s OK, they just don’t get the benefit of having the data available.

In the meantime, government funded registries exist with limited data licensing and they cost thousands of times more than what it costs to run OCM globally.

Ideally an EU body would take control of EV infrastructure data and get member countries to organise their data into well maintained data sets for us to consume, or they would fund OCM to be an organisation that does the same (no offers so far!).

1 Like

To Whom It May Concern: Update was made to the law and now it’s way more clear. EIPA is public registry available for anyone who would like to use it.

1 Like

Thanks, is there a link for the data? We are aiming to refocus on having individual networks feed us data directly but we’ll still consider other data sources depending on the quality of information.

Here are some docs: EIPA v. 2.0
(to get data itself you need to register to obtain API key)

size     filename
   43262 operator.json
  944026 pool.json
  463980 station.json
  946777 point.json
    5146 dictionary.json
 1008070 dynamic.json

I’m going to review data quality once I have enough time for that.
Ultimately I’d like to process it to something more useful.

One cool feature is it’s dynamic data about availability so tracking this in time could give us some automated source of “reliability score” which Bo of ABRP is looking forward to see/use.

1 Like

Interesting! yes one of the challenges we face with getting networks to supply data directly is that they are sensitive about the data being used for reliability analytics, so I expect much of the data we will get from networks will exclude failure information (so in-use and not-available would just be normalised to some generic not-available type value).